Ilan CohenM.D. Request An Appointment
Dr. Ilan Cohen is a Board-Certified Ophthalmologist. He is fellowship trained in cornea and anterior segment surgery (most pertinent to LASIK and Cataract surgery), with more than 25 years of experience in the field.
- Performed over 75,000 laser eye surgeries including surgeries on more than 1000 physicians
- Surgical Safety records more than 10 times better than national average (0.1% vs 1.5-2% complication rate comparison based on average numbers published by the American Academy of Ophthalmology).
- Career focused 100% on perfection and fine tuning of latest laser-based eye surgeries (Most eye surgeons dedicate 90% of their time to medical/nonsurgical issues)
- Performed the first implantable contact lens procedure (ICL), in the tri-state area. ICL is a LASIK alternative for patients with high myopia (extreme nearsightedness). Dr. Cohen was featured on both Fox and ABC news. Links here.
- Performed the first artificial cornea procedure for end-stage eye disease in the tri-state area, which got him featured on CBS news. Watch videos of these news reports
- #1 referral choice for other eye surgeon’s family and friends throughout the tri-state area
Personal story that propelled the passion for the field: When Dr. Cohen was a teenager, his younger brother sustained a significant eye injury from a penetrating projectile. His brother underwent an emergency eye surgery and then a series of eye surgeries to fix the complications from the first one. This impactful experience was his first exposure to this field and instilled in him a passion to help people see better by reducing surgical complications to the absolute minimum. Since then, he has dedicated his life to improvement of surgical techniques that are aimed at improving accuracy and reducing complication rates in eye surgeries. The results speak for themselves.
Education: Medical degree from Tufts University and fellowship trained in cornea and anterior segment surgery at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.